Dr. Scott M Fitzpatrick
Adjunct Associate Professor
Faculty Research Profile:
Scott M. Fitzpatrick is an Associate Professor of Archaeology. Dr. Fitzpatrick received his Ph.D. in Anthropology from the University of Oregon (2003) and specializes in the archaeology of islands and coasts, particularly the Pacific and Caribbean. His primary areas of interest include colonization strategies, exchange systems, chronometric techniques, and historical ecology. Dr. Fitzpatrick is founder and Co-Editor of the Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology (Routledge) and has published over 70 articles and book chapters and edited several special journal issues and books, including Voyages of Discovery: the Archaeology of Islands (2003) and Island Shores, Distant Pasts: Archaeological and Biological Perspectives on the Pre-Columbian Settlement of the Caribbean (2010). He currently has several active field projects on islands in the Grenadines and Nevis in the West Indies and Palau in Micronesia.
- Island archaeology
- Maritime adaptations
- Exchange systems and interaction spheres
- Evolution of complex societies
- Oceania, Caribbean, East Asia
- Christina Giovas, Michelle LeFebvre, and Scott M. Fitzpatrick (2012) New Records for Prehistoric Introduction of Neotropical Mammals to the West Indies: Evidence from Carriacou, Lesser Antilles. Journal of Biogeography (in press).
Yaroslav V. Kuzmin, Oksana V. Yanshina, Scott M. Fitzpatrick, and Olga V. Shubina (2012) The Neolithic of the Kurile Islands (Russian Far East): Current State and Future Prospects. Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology (in press).
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick (2011). On the Shoals of Giants: Natural Catastrophes and the Overall Destruction of the Caribbean’s Archaeological Record. Journal of Coastal Conservation (in press) doi: 10.1007/s11852-010-0109-0.
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick and Greg C. Nelson (2011). Purposeful Commingling of Adult and Child Cranial Elements from the Chelechol ra Orrak Cemetary, Palau. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 23:360-366.
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick and Christina Giovas (2011). New Radiocarbon Dates from the Grenadine Islands, West Indies. Radiocarbon 53(3):451-460.
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick and Ann H. Ross (2010). Island Shores, Distant Pasts: Archaeological and Biological Approaches to the Pre-Columbian Settlement of the Caribbean. Gainesville: University Press of Florida.
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick, Michiel Kappers, Quetta Kaye, Michelle LeFebvre, Christina Giovas, Mary Hill Harris, Scott Burnett, Jennifer A. Pavia, Kathleen Marsaglia, and James Feathers (2009). Precolumbian Settlements on Carriacou, West Indies. Journal of Field Archaeology 34:247-266.
- Ph.D. in Anthropology from University of Oregon
- M.S. in Historic Preservation from University of Oregon
- M.A. in Anthropology from University of Montana
- B.A. in Criminal Justice from Eastern Washington University
- B.A. in Anthropology from Eastern Washington University